Purpose and Scope:
The Lone Star College President provides leadership and oversight for a large college campus in a multi campus system, including off-site centers. The President develops new and maintains/deepens existing external partnerships and community relations. In addition, the President must be a good/contributing team member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet to help develop, coordinate and collaborate new system wide initiatives with colleagues. This role ensures the college is meeting needs of all constituents including students, community, taxpayers, school districts and others. As a leader, the President works with key local, state, and national leaders to accomplish the mission of college and system.
The Lone Star College-Kingwood President position is located at 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339
Essential Job Functions:
The College President is responsible to the Chancellor of the System for the performance of the following duties:
1. Participate in the decision making and fully support Lone Star College strategic priorities including the following:
• Academic and workforce
• Student success
• Financial responsibility and accountability
• Educational partnerships
• The establishment of a culture that values employees and students
• The Lone Star College Foundation
• A commitment to high ethical and professional standards
2. Understand and support Lone Star College’s budgeting philosophies, allocation models and financial accountability for your college.
3. Understand and support Lone Star College Human Resource policies, procedures and practices.
4. A knowledge, understanding, and practical application of Lone Star College policies and procedures.
5. Function as an active member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet.
6. Develop and implement college educational and student development programs responsive to the needs of the students and the community, and consistent with the values and mission of the System.
7. Develop and implement a plan of college organization including hiring, termination and the assignment of responsibilities to college personnel in accordance with Lone Star College policies. Included in this plan is a demonstrative commitment to diversity reflective of the community and student body
8. Develop and implement a college planning and evaluation system and report the results of all such evaluations to the Chancellor in a timely manner.
9. Represent the college in community and civic activities, supporting the programs of the LSC Foundation and maintaining positive relationships with governmental and educational entities within the college’s service area, including members of the Legislature.
10. Ensure that the college facilities and grounds are maintained in accordance with System standards and norms.
11. Act as the chief spokesperson for the college.
12. Engage in appropriate professional development activities. Present at least once annually at a national level professional meeting/conference and once annually at a State or regional conference.
13. Serve as the primary communication link between the college’s students, faculty and staff and the Chancellor and Board of Trustees. Employee shall maintain a highly professional relationship with both College faculty and staff in all forms of communication and shall abide by all system Policies and Procedures.
14. Initial assignment and/or reassignment of duties will be made by the chancellor based on the needs of the System.
Earned doctoral degree and over 10 years of related work experience, to include at least 5 years administrative experience at the president, vice-president, vice chancellor or associate vice chancellor level at a comprehensive community college or system.
This search is being facilitated by Dr. Dennis Michaelis of Gold Hill Associates. Candidates should send their materials directly to Dr. Michaelis at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The following items are required to be submitted directly and only to the search consultant via e-mail attachments:
• COVER LETTER, limited to no more than 4 typed pages, detailing how your education experiences/background align with this Position Profile
• RESUME, limited to no more than 6 typed pages
All attachments are to be in Microsoft Word or PDF format, and file names must begin with applicant’s initials (example: ABCcover, ABCres, ABCref). The subject line in the email should reference the position being applied for, i.e., President LSC-Kingwood.
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For application materials to receive full consideration, it is preferred that application materials be submitted by January 15, 2021.
Semi-finalist candidates will interview with the Search Advisory Committee in late January or early February with finalist candidates interviewing in early April.
REFERENCES will be requested only of finalists and should be limited to 1 typed page, and include two supervisors, two direct reports, two full-time faculty members, and one community reference. The references must include names, titles, business and personal phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. References will not be contacted without the consultant’s prior notification to the applicant.
Transcripts will be required of all finalists. Official transcripts must be provided to Lone Star College by the successful candidate as a condition of hire.
For questions related to the search process, calendar and Position Profile contact Search Liaison Helen Clougherty, Vice Chancellor, Chief of Staff/Board Liaison at Helen.Clougherty@LoneStar.edu
For other questions, contact the Search Consultant via e-mail noted below (including requests for phone conversation, in which you should also list times and number at which you may be reached).
Dr. Dennis Michaelis
Gold Hill Associates