Center for Career & Professional Development
The Center for Career & Professional Development provides professional guidance and resources to undergraduate and graduate students as well as recent graduates. Programs and services are designed to educate, counsel, and engage students and alumni in career planning and decision-making, experiential learning, continuing education, and/or employment search activities.
Focusing on arts and sciences, fine arts and communications students, the chosen candidate will use online and face to face strategies to deliver sessions on job seeking strategies and career-related topics, internships, and career options; administering career assessments, assisting with choosing a major, and the job search process; and providing information on graduate school programs and the application process. The successful candidate will also assist the team in conducting employer recruiting events online and on site.
- Career advising: Provide career counseling to arts and sciences, fine arts and communications students; administering and interpreting career assessment inventories when appropriate; providing assistance to students and alumni with career planning, resume writing, interview techniques, internships, and job search skills
- Educational programming: Assist with the planning and execution of recruiting events and writing career related blog posts to meet the needs of Lamar students.
- Employer relations: Assist in establishing and maintaining employer relationships: assist in the organization of virtual and face-to-face job fairs, other networking events.
- Outreach: To undecided students, student organizations, cardinal learning communities, honors, fraternities and sororities in exploring relationship with major, career, aspirations and skill development.
- Connections: To Colleges of Arts & Sciences and Fine Arts & Communication, Undergraduate Advising Center, New Student Orientation and Alumni Affairs.
- Promotion: in-class presentations of “what can I do with a major in” state and federal government hiring, business, social service and health care careers to academic classes.
- Some evening presentations to student groups and employer networking events during the year where appropriate.
Master's degree in counseling, human resources, college student personnel services, higher education, or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning is required.
Prefer strong oral and written communication skills, able to develop and give group presentations. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Publisher, Photo Shop, PowerPoint); publishing software; email; and Internet browser. At least one year of work experience in higher education, government or business.
A resume, letter of interest and complete contact information for three professional references is required. All applications must be submitted through Lamar University https://jobs.lamar.edu.
Lamar University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educational institution and employer. Lamar University will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Home to over 15,000 students, Lamar University, located near Houston in Beaumont, TX, is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities, and is a member of The Texas State University System. LU offers more than 100 programs of study leading to bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. The 292-acre campus in Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston and about 25 miles west of Louisiana.
The university has been nationally recognized for the quality of its core curriculum and the diversity of its student body. Compared to other universities near Houston. Lamar's small class sizes and low student-to-faculty ratio allow students to build meaningful relationships with expert faculty who truly care about their success.