Assistant Director Residence Life and Conference Housing
University of St. Thomas - Houston
Admin - Residence Life and Housing
10/01/2018 (Reposted Job: Initially posted on 07/20/2018)
Open Until Filled
marked as a Priority
Department: Residence Life
Supervisor: Director of Residence Life and Conference Housing
Location: UST Location
The University of St. Thomas ( www.stthom.edu), a private catholic university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking an Assistant Director of Residence Life and Conference Housing. The Assistant Director of Residence Life assists with the administration, supervision, management and programming for Residence Life and Conference Housing, and is responsible for the daily operations of the UST Living Learning Communities, which currently includes Freshmen LLCs as well as Catholic and Christian faith-based LLCs. The Assistant Director of Residence Life reports to the Director of Residence Life and is appointed with the approval of the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, Vice-President for Student Affairs, and the President of the University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Qualifications and Requirements
- Assist with the overall administration and daily operation of on-campus residence halls;
- Foster a community environment with opportunities for personal, spiritual and academic growth and leadership development by operating from a student development framework;
- Oversee the selection, training, scheduling, evaluation, organization and daily work of at least two Residence Life Student Teams, including, at minimum, the Living Learning Community Mentors. Other Residence Life Student Teams that the Assistant Director may be asked to oversee include, but is not limited to, Peer Ministers, Community Assistants and/or Resident Assistants;
- Coordinate and plan all aspects of monthly large scale social events that serve all residents. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating with student leaders, Facilities, vendors, etc;
- Coordinate and plan all aspects of monthly large scale faith-based events and assist in coordination of the weekly Residence Life mass;
- Oversee the selection, training, scheduling, evaluation, organization and daily work of one graduate assistant, which includes oversight of associated student leadership teams and one student council (such as ;ResCouncil and/or Judicial Board);
- Coordinate with faculty and staff advisors for the First Year Experience Living Learning Communities in order to ensure successful collaboration;
- Coordinate with the Office of Student Activities and the Office of Campus Ministry to help grow and develop the faith-based UST Households, including recruiting both on and off campus participants;
- Develop, implement and report out on measures of success for all UST Living Learning Communities and Households;
- Provide support to the Director for preparation and management of budgets for on-campus residence halls and with long range budget planning;
- Assist with the annual review and revision, as needed, of the Residence Life policies and procedures;
- Assist the Director with oversight of the maintenance and appearance of Residence Life facilities and coordinate housing services with appropriate University offices and personnel;
- Assist with the selection, training, and evaluation of the Residence Life student leadership team, including active involvement with the Centralized Leadership Process;
- Support, interpret, and enforce University and Residence Life policies, procedures and regulations among Residence Life staff and residents and serve as a University conduct officer as needed;
- Oversee and manage the summer conference programs, which includes primary responsibility for preparing all contracts for clients, primary responsibility for coordination with Dining Services and Facilities and primary responsibility for invoices and conference payments;
- Serve on University committees and collaborate with Student Affairs offices, including attendance at all major Campus Life events;
- Participate in University recruitment and retention initiatives;
- Participate in professional development through University, department in-service programs, student affairs committees, conference attendance and involvement in professional associations;
- Perform other delegated responsibilities assigned by the Director of Residence Life, and/or the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Minimum of Master's degree (Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Education, Counseling, Theology or related field) and a minimum of two years of professional experience. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in university settings, Catholic student leadership, event planning, residential life and summer conferences. Work experience should show demonstrated skills in leadership, group dynamics and programming.
- Must reside in University provided housing (two bedroom apartment) and serve as a part of the Residence Life On-Call team;
- Commitment to and ability to articulate the University's Catholic mission and identity in an inviting and engaging manner;
- Strong communication skills-oral and written;
- Must be detail oriented and demonstrate an ability to plan well;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with multiple constituents;
- Proficient in use of computers, including skills with word processing, database, PowerPoint, and internet;
- Interest in working with students, faculty, and staff of the University and in developing professional affiliations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.
This is a full-time, year round, benefit-eligible position. Regular evening work and occasional weekend work will be required. To apply, please send a resume, a cover letter and salary requirements to the email below. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Human Resources - Ref: 4018
University of St. Thomas
Houston, TX 77006
The University St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
University of St. Thomas - Houston