Department: Office of Admissions
Supervisor: VP of Enrollment Management
Location: UST Campus
The Director, Veterans Success Center is responsible for fostering an environment of trust and support that promotes the success for student veterans. To learn and implement best practices and enhance the understanding of the specific needs of student veterans, the Director will establish long lasting partnerships with veteran serving organizations to garner community resources. The Director builds an environment that promotes understanding and nurtures the value our student veterans bring to the campus-community. The Director, working in partnership with the Admissions Office, will develop strategic plans to attract and recruit veteran students to the University of St. Thomas and be responsible for managing all student veteran’s related activities and programs. The Director will partner with Career Services, Counseling and Disability Services and other departments to assist student veterans with a variety of issues and services to ensure their retention and graduation.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide vision, direction, program development, and daily administration for the Veterans Success Center.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the University of St. Thomas and local and national veteran’s organizations, the U S Department of Veterans’ Affairs, the City of Houston, Harris County, or other related organizations. May serve on various committees representing the University or as a guest speaker.
- Responsible for effectively managing all fiscal and budgetary requirements.
- Responsible for activities designed to attract and recruit veterans to the University of St. Thomas for both undergraduate and graduate level programs.
- Meet with potential students and family members during on-campus visits and as needed.
- Develop policies and procedures that comply with Federal, State, and U S Department of Veterans Affairs regulations and practices.
- Develop policies and procedures that embrace mission of the University of St. Thomas and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Work closely with the Certification Officer and maintain a knowledge base of GI Bill provisions and changes.
- Work in partnership with other departments to promote the academic success of student veterans including reservists and active duty military.
- Work in partnership with the Registrar’s Office and Academic Advising to help transition the student from a military environment to a community of higher education including discussing overall curriculums, selecting courses, understanding student requirements, and building academic skills.
- Prepare and deliver regular reports that assesses the Center’s overall success and results.
- Develop partnerships with local and national organizations, local community colleges, local service bases, the City of Houston, Harris County, and community based organizations designed to address the higher education needs of veterans.
- Work closely with Marketing and Communications to develop marketing and promotion initiatives.
- Work closely with Grants Administration to identify potential grant funding opportunities and with Institutional Advancement on fundraising opportunities.
- Regularly attend various job fairs, college fairs, and other veteran-related events.
- Actively participate in other on-campus recruiting and admissions activities.
Qualifications and Requirements
- An undergraduate degree in business, higher education, veteran’s affairs, counseling or related field required. A Master’s level degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working as a director or assistant director of a veteran’s affairs related department or function.
- Progressively responsible for the design, development, and direction of veteran-related programs and services preferably in a higher education environment.
- Very competent and knowledgeable about admissions practices and student recruiting processes and procedures.
- Thorough and comprehensive understanding of veteran’s benefits including GI Bill benefits.
- Comprehensive work history of program development and new initiatives.
- Excellent organization skills and the demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Working knowledge of available post-secondary funding opportunities for veterans including all state and federal educational benefits.
- Demonstrated good presentation skills.
- Demonstrated abilities to work effectively under pressure, ambiguity, and conflicting goals.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Demonstrated creativity, excellent judgement, professionalism, and practice of sound principles.
- Prior service in the US Armed Forces preferred.
- Intermediate level or higher proficiency in working with Microsoft Office Products such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software.
- A working knowledge of PeopleSoft systems as well as Radius and other CRM software is preferred.
- Some travel will be required.
- Recruiting and public liaison related activities will result in evening and weekend work assignments.
- Incumbent must have access to a personal car and have a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Substantial phone usage will be required on an as needed basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. The University retains the right to assign and change the duties of this position at any time.
This is a full-time, year round, benefit-eligible position. To apply, please send a resume, a cover letter and salary requirements to the email below. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Human Resources – Ref: 3218
University of St. Thomas
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal opportunity Employer