Texas Southern University - Assistant Vice President Student Services, Auxiliary Services and Student Life (TSU202373)
Salary commensurate with experience & qualifications.
The Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management (DOSSEM) is a partner in the university learning community. We understand that education is enhanced, both inside and outside of the classroom, through high-impact programs and services that advance student learning, development and success. To this end, the Assistant Vice President for Student Services- Auxiliary Services and Student Life, is responsible for creating a stellar experience by aligning all operational and strategic facets of: dining and catering contract management, student center operations, bookstore contract management, Post Office, Student Life, and all other activities of Auxiliary Services. The AVP will ensure the continuous quality improvement of all aspects of auxiliary services and student life. This position shares responsibility for providing clean, comfortable, desirable learning spaces that enhance the student experience at Texas Southern University.
The Assistant Vice President is responsible for student services and programs that have a direct impact on student learning, growth and development, persistence to graduation, and overall success. The Assistant Vice President will also work collaboratively with other colleagues to ensure that all new students have a smooth transition to and successful college experience while at the University, enhance student involvement/participation in university organizations, and promote racial, ethnic and cultural appreciation and equity. The Assistant Vice President promotes student engagement in transformational experiences, responsible citizenship, builds an inclusive community and strengthens connections to support student success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develops and manages all aspects of the Sterling Student Center and auxiliary operations. Supervises staff to achieve goals and objectives of the department.
· Assists students to achieve their academic and co-curricular goals which includes mentoring, training, and/or supervising student leaders/workers. Helps students and parents solve problems and respond appropriately to challenges and/or crises.
· Provides day to day lease and contract management for Food Services, Bookstore, COKE and vending.
· Develops and manages operational budgets. Performs periodic fiscal analysis of revenue and expenditures.
· Collaborates with other university departments and/or committees to provide leadership in University-sponsored events (graduations, galas, homecoming festivities, guest speakers, special events, and fundraisers) and helps develop the divisional and University calendar.
· Develops, coordinates, and assesses a comprehensive student activities program of educational, recreational, social, physical, intellectual, cultural, educational and social programs which appeal to a diverse audience at the university and in the community.
· Designs and implements student organization leader and advisor trainings, including details on Student Activities policies, procedures, budgetary matters, risk management and applicable University policies.
· Directs and approves various personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, reorganization, problem resolution, performance evaluation, promotions, training, and vacation schedules.
· Oversees all aspects of the student organizations including but not limited to providing leadership and support for the Student Government Association (SGA), the National Pan Hellenic Council, Multicultural Greek Council, Student Organizations, University Program Council, Royal Court, Debate Team, Cheerleaders, and Mascots.
· Monitors and prepares fiscal reports on activities and event revenue, and expenditures to ensure cost effectiveness.
· Develops and recommends policies and procedures relating to auxiliary services operations.
· Monitors issues, trends and emerging strategies in higher education auxiliary and business services and incorporates said information into the division’s strategic planning.
· Develops strategies for increasing revenues, enhancing services and initiating improvements in the Auxiliary Services area.
· Serve on division and university committees as needed.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
· Education: MBA or Doctorate in higher education administration or related field.
· Experience: Seven - ten years of management level experience in University Student Life/Auxiliary Services.
· Skills: Strategic budgeting and financing experience. Visioning and leveraging the value proposition for student on-campus experiences.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree AND five (5) years of related experience of progressively responsible leadership experience, preferably in a university of comparable size and complexity.
Experience in maximizing fiscal and human resources, effective problem-solving skills, and an innovative program development approach with evidence of change-oriented leadership skills. A record of accomplishment as a financial/business director. Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills that encourage collaboration and cooperation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Federal, State, Local, and County laws.
· Policies, procedures, and student affairs best practices.
· An understanding of, and the ability to apply, student development and learning outcomes theories.
· Work requires business, computing and organizational skills.
· Analysis/assessment/evaluation, budget control, budget development.
· Requires advanced, specialized knowledge in a job function, family or professional discipline to handle, as necessary, the analysis and/or procedural modifications associated with non-standard work or situations; and as applicable, provides guidance and technical leadership to others in area of expertise.
· Responsibilities for this position require knowledge at an advanced level.
· Supervisory techniques.
· Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
· Problem-solving and decision-making.
· Effective communication.
· Multitasking and time management.
· Budget management.
· Planning activities.
· Coordinating work of others.
· Strategic planning.
· Leading projects.
· Both verbal and written communication.
· Prepare detailed reports.
· Relate well to students.
· Commitment to the educational and revenue generating goals of auxiliary services.
· Lead strategic planning efforts and manage multiple projects.
· Lead the development or modification of work procedures across multiple disciplines.
· Work independently.
· Communicate effectively.
Limited standing and/or walking.
Handling light weight objects.
Using or carrying equipment.
Stoop, bend or lift.
May require routine travel.
Deadline to Apply:
Open Until Filled
Please visit our website https://jobs.tsu.edu/ to access the online application.
Texas Southern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Texas Southern University is an "at will" employer.